Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Nothing else compares

I have found that there is a sole moment in time where I am completely at peace. You would think that it would be on stage... Close. There is a moment when you get off stage, when you have given in to all those feelings you want to portray and are completely exhausted. That moment when you take that first breath and think; "I nailed it." and look around the room to see all these faces smiling at you, knowing that what you just did there is exactly what you were made to do.

Life in itself causes so many distractions, so many roads and hiccups to chose from or get tossed into and it is so hard to find a way were you feel completely right.
There are so many things you have to do before you get to that moment, if you ever get to that moment.
"But I already know what I want to do. I have known this all along." Well it doesn't work that way, does it?

Music makes me tick, it makes me burn and vibrate and it allows me to feel all these things I have to feel, all these things I want to feel. It provides a safety that is unbeatable. It is my way to speak.
This is why so much of my time is put into the lyrics, they have to fit and make me feel something so that when I record it (live, at home, in a studio) I can feel that emotion I originally put into that song. The lyrics however, doesn't always have to make much sense. I can sit down and play something and the words come flying out and build a beautiful sentence although weird it somehow causes a reaction and people seem to understand where I am heading with it. It's funny that way.
May it be happiness, sadness, anger, love or a sense of respect they all have to make me feel.

I am a perfectionist, not at all in life, everything around me can be messy, but in music I am a perfectionist at heart. It's both good and bad, I can put a song away for several months or years because it doesn't make me tick, it doesn't cause me to feel and later just play it once and find what was wrong, make it better. I can't release or perform something I'm not proud of just because I have to. If I am not sure of the song I'll skip it in a heartbeat.

I may sound pretentious but it's true.

The thing I am trying to say is that no matter what artist or band or song as long as it makes me feel something I can indulge myself in that song for hours.

Love,
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment